• Late equaliser spares Atlético Madrid another defeat
• Club Brugge upset Braga in Portugal

Juanfran's late equaliser saved Atlético Madrid from another dispiriting defeat as they claimed a 1-1 draw at Rennes in Group I of the Europa League.

Beaten 5-0 by Barcelona at the weekend, Atleti were on course to fall again when Victor Montano put the Ligue 1 side ahead in the 56th minute. But Juanfran struck with three minutes to play to salvage a point and ensure the 2010 Uefa Cup winners stay top of the group.

Udinese are alongside them on four points, as they left it even later to claim a 1-1 draw at Celtic.

Ryan Donk's 90th-minute header gave Club Brugge a 2-1 victory at Braga. The Portuguese side were dominant in the first half and took the lead eight minutes after the interval through Helder Barbosa, but Joseph Akpala levelled after 71 minutes before Donk's late contribution decided it.

In the other Group H game, Birmingham City came from behind to win 2-1 at Maribor.

Schalke's Christian Fuchs scored a goal in each half to give the German side a 3-1 win over Maccabi Haifa. Fuchs scored in the seventh minute and again in the 65th after Idan Vered had equalised, before José Jurado added a third for Schalke with 10 minutes to play.

Also in Group J, AEK Larnaca picked up their first point with a 1-1 draw against Steaua Bucharest. AEK took a 59th-minute lead through Miljan Mrdakovic before Steaua equalised through Mihai Costea, and the Cypriot side could not make the most of their man advantage following the 82nd-minute dismissal of the visiting defender Pablo Brandán.

Mathias Suárez and Dieudonne Mbokani scored as Anderlecht maintained their winning start to the campaign, emerging from a battering at Lokomotiv Moscow with a 2-0 win in Group L.

In the other match in that group, Mario Haas was the injury-time match-winner for Sturm Graz as they found two late goals to win 2-1 against an AEK Athens side who had survived all but nine second-half minutes with 10 men. The Greek side had taken control with Joachim Standfest's own-goal in the 51st minute, but Traianos Dellas was dismissed three minutes later and late goals from Thomas Burgstaller and Haas turned the match around.

Marc Janko's double helped FC Twente heap more misery upon the outclassed Polish side Wisla Krakow as Co Adriaanse's men eased to a 4-1 victory in Enschede. Wisla took a shock ninth-minute lead through David Biton, but Janko's double and goals for Luuk de Jong and Willem Janssen eased Twente home.

Andrew Johnson scored twice to give Fulham a 2-0 win at Odense in Group K's other game.

Austria Vienna inflicted more misery on their hosts Malmo to get their own Group G campaign off and running with a 2-1 win. The Swedish side had been hammered 4-1 by AZ Alkmaar on matchday one and slipped once more courtesy of first-half goals from Nacer Barazite and Alexander Grünwald.

The substitute Agon Mehmeti pulled one back for Malmo and Vienna had Emir Dilaver dismissed late on.

The Brazilian forward Taison earned Metalist Kharkiv a 1-1 draw at AZ Alkmaar, who had taken the lead through Jozy Altidore.

A goal 10 minutes from time by Giorgos Fotakis earned Paok Salonika a 2-2 draw at Rubin Kazan in Group A. The Greek side had taken the lead midway through the first half through Stefanos Athanasiadis, but second-half goals from Nelson Haedo Valdez and Vladimir Dyadyun appeared to have put the Russian team on course for victory before Fotakis's late intervention.

In the evening's later matches Tottenham Hotspur scored three goals in five minutes as they came from behind to beat Shamrock Rovers 3-1 and go top of Group A.

Sporting Lisbon held on to beat Lazio 2-1 and maintain their perfect start in Group D. Ricky van Wolfswinkel and Miroslav Klose traded first-half goals before Emiliano Insúa put the hosts back in front on the stroke of half-time with a powerful 35-yard drive. Insúa was later sent off.

Admir Mehmedi salvaged a 2-2 draw for 10-man Zurich at Vaslui. Alexandre Alphonse gave Zurich the lead, but the Zurich defender Raphael Koch was sent off for a foul on Wesley, who converted the resulting penalty in the 62nd minute. Mike Temwanjera then put Vaslui in front in the 77th minutebefore Mehmedi headed the equaliser two minutes later.

First-half goals from Igor Gabilondo and Markel Susaeta gave Athletic Bilbao a 2-0 win over big-spending Paris St Germain, who had Mohamed Sissoko sent off in the 53rd minute.

Leonardo, Eulogio Zarate and Dusan Svento scored in the second half to give Salzburg a 3-0 win over Slovan Bratislava.

Goals from Peter Crouch and Jon Walters gave Stoke City a 2-1 win over Besiktas, who had led through Roberto Hilbert's goal.

Dor Micha struck in the 44th minute to maintain Maccabi Tel Aviv's long unbeaten record in continental competition with a 1-1 draw against Dynamo Kiev, who opened the scoring through Ideye Brown.

Goals from Luis Seijas, Felipe and Antonio Kanu brought Standard Liège a 3-0 win over FC Copenhagen, while Hannover won 2-1 at Vorskla with first-half goals from Mohamed Abdellaoui and Christian Pander, despite Oleksiy Kurilov's reply.

Goals from Danijel Ljuboja, Marcin Komorowski from a penalty and Miroslav Radovic one minute from the end gave Legia Warsaw a 3-2 win over Hapoel Tel Aviv, for whom Toto Tamuz and Maaran Lala scored.

Wilfred Bouma, Ola Toivonen and Tim Matavz earned PSV Eindhoven a 3-1 win over Rapid Bucharest, who had opened the scoring through Dan Alexa.

guardian.co.uk © 2012 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds